- Several mechanisms result in termination of transcription.
- In eucaryotes, investigation of termination is complicated by the rapid processing of the 3' end of transcripts.
- In procaryotes, two mechanisms can be distinguished:
- Termination of transcription plays a role in regulation of gene expression for cistrons downstream of a regulated termination site.
- The regulation event may activate a hidden termination signal, as in attenuation.
- The regulation event may repress a termination signal, as in anti-termination,
Last | Overview | Top | Next
This is page 223 of Molecular Genetics by Ulrich Melcher, ©1997, 1998
E-mail inquiries to U. Melcher------------Last Updated: 11 September, 2003